The Sacramento Builders’ Exchange dates back to October 1901 when a group of local builders (long before licensed contractors) formed an association for the purpose of discussing common problems and exchanging ideas relating to their crafts. At that time the organization was incorporated as the Builders Association of Sacramento County. The original association has developed into one of the largest and most active Builders’ Exchanges in the Western United States and is recognized as one of the leading organizations representing the overall construction industry in Northern California.
Prior to 1916, the Exchange was located in a three-story building at 1013-10th Street, Sacramento. In 1925 it moved to 1508 “J” Street, and became known as the Builders’ Institute of Sacramento. Several years later the Institute consolidated with two other groups and incorporated under its present name: Sacramento Builders’ Exchange, Inc., a California non-profit corporation organized to serve the total construction industry.
After operating at four interim locations, the Exchange purchased its present office building site at 14th and “T” Streets in Sacramento in 1949. In January 1951, the Exchange moved into its present office building, which was designed by Leonard F. Starks to meet the special needs of an Exchange operation. Second floor and first floor additions were added in 1955 and 1962, bringing the total building area to 13,700 square feet. In addition to administrative offices and plan room, the Exchange also has 10 private estimating booths for use by the members. The Exchange office building also has 26 private rental offices, available only to members.
In 1965, the directors purchased additional adjacent property in order to provide more adequate parking for members.
Click here to view.